Looking for a fresh, satisfying lunch idea or a quick-and-easy dish to share at your next dinner with family or friends? The classic wedge salad needs to be your go-to dish. A quarter head of iceberg lettuce, creamy blue cheese dressing, plus crispy bacon, onion, and tomatoes… how could you wish for any more? Simple, satisfying, and seasonally perfect.Print
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Cut lettuce into four wedges.
- Dice onion and tomato into small pieces (Tip: to keep tomatoes from being too watery, place them in a strainer tossed with a little salt and let them drain while you pull the rest of your ingredients together.)
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 5 minutes. Place on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain grease.
- Arrange iceberg wedges on plates and pour blue cheese dressing over each.
- Sprinkle with onion, tomato, and bacon crumbles.
History of the Wedge Salad
The wedge salad is said to have originated in the 1950s and 60s, during the height of the steakhouse era. The salad was a popular side dish that was served alongside steaks and other hearty meat dishes. The simplicity of the salad made it easy to prepare and the ingredients were readily available. This made it a popular choice for restaurants.
Over the years, the recipe has evolved. Some restaurants add blue cheese crumbles, cherry tomatoes, and other ingredients to give the salad a modern twist. However, the classic wedge salad remains a favorite among many.
Final Thoughts on this Recipe
The classic wedge salad is a delicious and easy-to-make salad that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a simple side dish or a light lunch, this salad is sure to hit the spot. So next time you’re in the mood for something fresh and tasty, give this classic recipe a try.