Keep adding Vitamin C to your meal plans with this tasty, summer-inspired Summer Berry Grilled Chicken Salad that is high in Vitamin C and bursting with color. Overflowing with juicy oranges, fresh strawberries, plump blueberries and ruby raspberries, this gluten-free salad is sure to become a family favorite. Not only are these foods some of our all-time favorites, each one brings some natural-occurring Vitamin C doses to the table. Check out their nutrient rankings:
- Strawberries contain 98mg of Vitamin C per cup (108% DV)
- Oranges contain 96mg of Vitamin C per cup (106% DV)
- Raspberries contain 32.2mg of Vitamin C per cup (36% DV)
- Blueberries contain 14.4mg of Vitamin C per cup (16% DV)
The best part about it is — beyond chopping everything up — it’s fairly easy to throw together! So add these fresh produce items to your weekly shopping list and pack your cart full of produce. You can give your body a boost in Vitamin C levels naturally.
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped finely
- 6 large strawberries, hulled and diced
- 3 oz raspberries
- ¼ c orange slices
- ¼ c blueberries
- ½ c blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- ¼ c pecans, chopped
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and coat the pan with 1Tbsp oil.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on the first side without moving.
- Flip the chicken breasts with tongs or a fork and cook the remaining side for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and allow chicken to rest in the pan for about 5 minutes before slicing into 1-inch strips.
- Layer bowl with greens, chicken, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, blue cheese (leave out for dairy-free option) and pecans.
- Drizzle with red berry vinegarette dressing (recipe below) and enjoy!
Red Berry Vinaigrette Ingredients
- Remaining raspberries (around 3 oz)
- 4 large strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- ¼ c red wine vinegar
- 3 ½ Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ c canola oil
Red Berry Vinaigrette Dressing Preparation
- Add the raspberries, strawberries and red wine vinegar in a food processor.
- Mix until it becomes a smooth and liquid puree.
- Strain the mixture into a clean bowl to remove the seeds (around ¾ cup).
- Clean out your processor.
- Add mixture back into food processor along with the honey, herbs de Provence, salt and black pepper.
- Process mixture until well combined.
- With processor running, drizzle in the oil and mix until well blended.
- Use immediately or refrigerate (covered) for up to 24 hours.