What a fantastic way to get your greens, already chewed up for you by the blades of the blender, and ready to assimilate all in a cold fruity drink. Some though, (kids especially) are turned off by the green color, and here’s a sneaky way to make your green smoothie lose its green. The secret ingredient to a blue-green smoothie is frozen blueberries. Blend up your greens and juice, then add frozen bananas and blueberries, the smoothie is a rich blue color, pleasing eyes, palates and bodies alike.
How to make an ungreen green smoothie
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup green leafies, such as swiss chard or spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- Blend juice and leaves on high until well pulverized.
- Add fruit and blend until thick and smooth.
Some other ideas for getting the green into picky eaters
- Squeeze a bit of lime in a regular green smoothie and call it a lime smoothie. Lime is supposed to be green and thus is not as offensive. Same with kiwi smoothies.
- Use mild-flavored greens such as Swiss chard and spinach.
- Blend the greens and juice well to ensure smoothness and no green grit.
The relaxing atmosphere of summer is a great time to get started!