Green smoothies are a fantastic way to get your greens! But we get that not everyone loves greens and some (kids especially) are turned off by the green color. Here’s a sneaky way to make your green smoothie lose its green. The secret ingredient to a blue-green smoothie is frozen blueberries. Blend up your greens and juice, then add frozen bananas and blueberries, the smoothie is a rich purple-blue color, pleasing eyes, palates, and bodies alike.
How to make an ungreen green smoothie
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup dark leafy greens, such as swiss chard or spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- Blend juice and leaves on high until well pulverized.
- Add fruit and blend until thick and smooth.
Some other ideas for getting the green into picky eaters
- Squeeze a bit of lime in a regular green smoothie and call it a lime smoothie. Lime is supposed to be green and thus is not as offensive. Same with kiwi smoothies.
- Use mild-flavored greens such as Swiss chard and spinach.
- Blend the greens and juice well to ensure smoothness and no green grit.
The relaxing atmosphere of summer is a great time to get started!