(Health Secrets Newsletter) Though wrinkles may be an inevitable effect of aging, there are many things we can do to hold them off, as well as lessen and eliminate the ones that already exist. Here are some natural suggestions to help you prevent and get rid of wrinkles:
Excessive sun exposure will lead to wrinkles, so you should avoid getting too much sun. However, don’t avoid the sun entirely. Regular sunshine and the vitamin D3 it produces are actually beneficial for the skin and hugely important for overall health. The best advice is to get out of the sun when you first notice your skin beginning to turn pink. When you do get too much sun, take steps to help heal the skin and offset damage such as using strong tea or aloe vera gel. Here are more natural sunburn remedies:
* Drink plenty of water. Good, pure water helps keep skin cells hydrated and cleansed to avoid health robbing toxic buildup.
* Make sure you eat a healthy diet which includes plenty of food items that are good for skin health. Here are some good items for a healthy diet for skin:
* Make sure your diet contains plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for healthy skin. Wild-caught salmon is a very good source.
* Blueberries are considered to be among the top three healthiest juices for the skin, along with pomegranate and acai.
* The top vitamins for the skin are vitamins A, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E. Blackberries have all six, including abundant A, C, and E
* Carrots and carrot juice are loaded with vitamin A, which is an essential nutrient for maintaining healthy skin. Pumpkins are also a good source of carotenoids, which are derivatives of vitamin A.
* Raspberries, dark cherries, apple and strawberry are all rich in antioxidants which prevent free radicals from damaging your skin. They also have plentiful vitamins and nutrients for the skin and overall health.
Note: For the healthiest choices, buy organic whenever possible.
Remedies for Wrinkles
Many natural remedies can lessen wrinkles and even eliminate fine line wrinkles. Here are some of the best:
- Apply coconut oil on the portions of skin and face where wrinkles set in and gently massage every night at bedtime.
- Bananas are wonderful as an anti-wrinkle treatment. Mash 1/4 banana until very creamy. Spread all over face and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water followed by a dash of cold. Gently pat dry.
- Grape Seed Oil is wonderful for eliminating and minimizing fine lines and wrinkles and leaves skin soft and glowing.
- Olive oil is also reported to work wonders for eliminating and minimizing wrinkles.
- Vodka, fennel seeds and honey. Combine two tablespoons of vodka, one tablespoon of fennel seeds and one and one-half teaspoons honey. Stir well and allow to sit for three days. Strain mixture. Use a cotton ball to apply to face and neck as a toner.
- Other oils which will minimize wrinkles and fine lines and keep your skin healthy and glowing: olive, avocado (drier skin) and jojoba (breakout prone skin).
Supplements for Wrinkles and Healthy Skin
- Some of the best supplements for healthy skin and wrinkle prevention are:
- Omega 3 Plus.
- Vitamins A, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E are the most important vitamins for the skin, as noted above. They are combined in Daily Balance.
- Selenium in supplement form or used in a cream helps protect skin from sun damage. Notably, selenium also plays a key role in skin cancer prevention.
- Copper, taken together with vitamin C and the mineral zinc, helps to develop elastin, the fibers that support skin structure from underneath. You will find these in Daily Balance along with selenium.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid is hundreds of times more potent than either vitamin C or E in helping neutralize skin cell damage caused by free radicals. It also helps rebuild skin cells.
- DMAE deactivates free-radicals’ power to harm skin cells. It also helps stabilize the membrane around the outside of each cell so that damage from the sun and pollutants such as cigarette smoke are reduced.
- Hyaluronic Acid is most noted for its ability to lubricate joints; however, it may be the best supplement of all for preventing and eliminating wrinkles. Research has shown that it keeps skin looking smoother and younger. Hyaluronic acid holds up to 1,000 times its weight in water, which means more moisture in each skin cell. Often, it will eliminate fine line wrinkles completely.