Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? According to a study conducted by Dr. Wade Meredith in November of 2006, this is what happens to your body when you drink a coke.
- In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
- 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to urinate.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes and water.
- >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, peed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
Comments from Dr. Esposito
The study forgot to mention the fact that Coke has a pH of 2.6 which is extremely acidic and puts your body into an acid shock. After consuming one 12oz can of Coke your body will immediately release a hormone that will begin to pull calcium from your bones to balance the excess acid in the bloodstream.
In my opinion, the epdiemic of osteoporosis in this country is caused from excessive consumptions of acidic foods and drinks that cause our body to instinctively leech calcium from our bones.
In order to assess the acidity in your body it is recommended to check the first morning urine pH before eating or drinking. The normal level should be between 6.4 and 7.4. To purchase a packet of pH paper click here.