(Secretos de salud) La gota es una enfermedad donde los cristales, debido al exceso de ácido úrico en la sangre, settle in the joints causing intense arthritic pain. Although a very common place where the disease occurs is the big toe, gout can occur in any body joint. The swelling and pain is caused by the body’s inflammatory response to the crystals.
Excess uric acid can be caused by diabetes, high cholesterol, hipertensión, nefropatía, cardiopatía, and obesity. Although anyone can be affected by gout, it is primarily a man’s disease.
Gout symptoms are:
*Warmth, dolor, swelling, and extreme pain in the affected area
*Red or purplish discoloration around the affected joint
*Limited movement in the affected joint
The first time gout symptoms come, it can be out of nowhere, often while sleeping at night.
Risk factors of getting gout
The risk of getting this disease is greatest in men over the age of 40, especially if they are overweight, as excessive food consumption increases the production of uric acid.
Excess alcohol consumption is another risk. Beer is the biggest offender because beer is high in purines. In the same light, eating foods that contain purines (hígado, riñones, brains, sweetbreads, sardinas, anchovies, meat extracts, dried peas, lentils, legumbres, etc.) also increases the risk for the disease.
Entonces, we have the environmental risks, such as exposure to environmental lead. Lead poisoning can cause gout because it raises the uric acid levels in the blood.
Some medications can result in this disease because they decrease the amount of uric acid excreted in urine. Examples are diuretics, aspirin, Cyclosporine (which suppresses the body’s immune system), Levopoda (used for Parkinson’s), and the supplement niacin can also be a risk.
Additional risk factors in getting gout are:
*Experiencing a sudden severe illness or trauma
*Going on a crash diet
*Injuring a joint
When addressing gout, there are effective natural steps you can take:
- Reduce inflammation by eating a healthy whole foods diet.
- Take time out to rest.
- Applying ice packs to the affected area reduces inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water. Being well hydrated can prevent further attacks.
- Eat lots of cherries or drink black cherry juice. Cherry juice concentrate contains about 55 a 60 tart cherries in every ounce. This might be a better option than eating 55 a 60 whole cherries. Vegetable juices will also help relieve gout.
- Apples contain malic acid that neutralizes uric acid. Make sure they’re organic.
- Bananas are also instrumental in relieving gout.
- Squeezing lime into a glass of water twice a day is another effective remedy. Limes contain Vitamin C which strengthen joints and help stabilize the levels of uric acid.
- Alfalfa tablets also provide a good amount of relief.
- Nutmeg is also instrumental in relieving gout.
- The enzymes in bromelain are said to consume uric acid.
- Exercise is very important. Exercise helps to normalize insulin and uric acid levels.
Para más información: