(Health Secrets Newsletter) Creativity spurs innovation. Without it, our world as we know it wouldn’t exist. Someone, somewhere was creative enough to develop new technologies that have increased both our quality and quantity of life. Everything we know today began with someone thinking of it, believing it was possible and taking action.
The question, though, is how does creativity begin? Does it start as a dream? Does a light bulb suddenly appear over your head? Why does it seem some people are super creative and others are very logical? Is there something specific you can do to spark your creativity ? I’ve always classified myself as “left-brained” or more logical, analytical, and objective. I’ve admired those I’ve considered “right-brained” as more intuitive, thoughtful, and subjective. I wondered if I’d ever develop the ability to be more creative.
Believe it or not, we are all creative. While we may be creative in different ways, creativity is within us, just waiting to be discovered. I’ve enjoyed getting to know the imaginative side of me. I hope you find the journey to discover your creative side just as interesting, informative, and most of all fun! And, for those of you familiar with Figment ( A Walt Disney EPCOT attraction – Journey into Imagination) you know he is the mascot of imagination and the subject of one of the Dreamfinder songs, One Little Spark.
Find Your Spark
1. Make a list of 100 ideas and thoughts that pop into your mind effortlessly. They don’t have to be connected, but simply write out 100 ideas that come to mind in a single sitting. This may seem impossible at first, but the purpose is to generate uncensored and unfiltered thoughts that can be used as a foundation for a bigger idea. You can always filter the ideas later on, so focus on quantity, not quality at first. Once you start, you will find you have no trouble at all jotting down 100 ideas. You might begin with a list of all the things you’d like to accomplish in your life, the places you’d like to visit, the legacy you’d like to leave, or the most important life lessons you’ve experienced. Or, try a bunch of random ideas that come to mind with ease.
2. Stimulate all of the senses. Try something different that involves various senses. For example, go to a wine tasting, art museum, concert, theater, or even schedule a massage. Take a walk through a beautiful garden, try a new type of cuisine, or visit a different part of town than you normally frequent. You just might discover a fresh idea by stimulating your body and mind with new things.
3. Surround yourself with affirming, empowering, and inspiring words. Stories, positive affirmations, and motivational quotes are always fabulous starting points to tap into your creativity. You might be inspired to look within, connect with your soul, and discover your own inner power to experience a life full of happiness, joy, peace, and empowerment after exploring the stories of others.
4. Go for a drive in the country. You will gain a lot of clarity when you’re alone in the car, present in the moment, and enjoying your own company. Turn off the radio and tune into your own thoughts. There are plenty of creative ideas already within your mind; you just have to become more aware of them!
5. Try the color yellow. This may sound strange, but psychologists believe that the color yellow inspires creativity. Architecture firms have a tendency to paint their walls yellow. It’s the color of sunshine, and following the yellow brick road may lead you to the adventure of a lifetime!
6. Use the plentiful resources available to you. People love to talk, so get them talking! Ask them questions and allow their responses to guide your thoughts and ideas. You just may come up with a unique and creative solution by capitalizing on the brainpower of others. Practice being a good listener!
7. Take a break. If you’re under stress or pressure, it’s time to relax. After all, our minds need a break! Your relaxation routine doesn’t have to be extravagant; it can be as simple as playing a Sudoku puzzle or going for a 15-minute walk. By refreshing your body and mind, you will actually increase your creativity ability!
The only difference between you and the greatest creative minds of our times, past and present; is simply the power of passion and belief. Each of us have gifts and talents that make us unique and different from everyone else; however, most of us don’t believe we do. It’s time to ignite our creativity and believe! As Napoleon Hill said “what the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” Unleash you creative talent and let if run wild!
Read more of Donna’s blogs at both renovateyourlifestyle.com and Align Life.