(Health Secrets Newsletter) The foods we have grown up eating are the foods eaten by our ancestors and their ancestors before them, back through time. We as humans have evolved eating these foods, and that long course of evolution has dictated that these are the perfect foods for us today. The healing nature and nutritional importance of these foods throughout human history is what led Hippocrates to say, Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food. But Hippocrates never envisioned the cornering of the food supply by a handful of greedy corporations to the detriment of the entire human race that is going on now.
The GMO food experiment is why governments have locked away seeds from natural foods in seed vaults for safety. This experiment is going full steam ahead with no studies being done to help predict its long term effects. The human population of the earth is being used as guinea pigs in this uncontrolled and unregulated experiment. If the experiment fails, it may be possible to replant the earth and start again. But when that happens it will be too late for many of us who will have suffered damage beyond repair from eating GMO foods. And if the saved seeds are able to be planted, the limited amount of food produced from them will go only to the wealthy and powerful. The single recourse of people living today in countries that have allowed GMO foods is to do their best to avoid them for as long as they are able. But avoiding GMO foods is not easy, primarily because GMOs and processed foods containing them are not labeled as such. The FDA and Monsanto, have decided we have no right to know what we are eating.
Several of the foods that are now almost totally GMO are among our favorites and are used as ingredients in many of the most popular dishes we are accustomed to eating. They are served in the restaurants we like to visit, and they have become traditions. It is a very sad situation indeed that we now must turn our backs on them in self-preservation.
The list of the dangers from eating GMO foods is long and growing. If you have been a regular reader of the Health Secrets Newsletter, you are well aware of these hazards. But to take this intellectual knowledge and translate it into changing the way you have eaten your entire life is a big challenge. One way around this is to buy organic versions of these foods. Any food that is labeled as organic will have been grown from natural seed and is not GMO. Sadly, here is a list of the top ten GMO foods that should be avoided at all costs.
1. Tomatoes: This ubiquitous food is the poster child for GMOs, having been first genetically engineered in 1994 with the goal of extending shelf life. In a short term study, rats fed GMO tomatoes for 28 days developed bleeding stomach lesions and several died. Although no histology was done on their intestines, stomach sectioning showed necrotic lesions. In humans, GMO tomato consumption may lead to life-threatening hemorrhaging, particularly in anyone taking blood thinners like Plavix, Pradaxa or aspirin. Tomatoes are a major source of life enhancing vitamin C, and lycopene, a nutrients that stops many cancers in their tracks. It’s the backbone of many traditional recipes and what puts the magic in salsa. Your best bet with tomatoes is to get your hands on some heirloom seeds and grow your own in your backyard or in containers. Tomatoes are easy to grow, and be sure to save their seeds.
2. Corn: GMO corn produces its own insecticide right in the plants. By Monsanto’s own figures, more than half of the U.S. production of sweet corn is GMO, and that number is rapidly increasing. Almost all of the field corn production used to feed animals is GMO. Bt toxin from GMO corn is now throughout the food supply and can be found in newborn babies. Corn was once thought to be of minimal nutritional value, but now we know that it has the highest content of polyphenols of any vegetable when it is heated, making it the king of anti-aging vegetables. Organic corn is hard to find, but you may be able to buy non-GMO corn from local growers or co-ops. Look for processed corn products such as corn chips, corn flakes or corn bread that say non-GMO corn on the package.
3. Papaya: GMO papaya now comprises almost the entire production of papaya grown in Hawaii, and most of the papaya sold in all stores comes from Hawaii. We tend to think of fresh produce, especially when it’s cut in half and wrapped for display as being something special – and something healthy. We often buy without looking to make sure the item is organic, but with papaya this is a bad idea. The papaya ringspot virus coat protein is the gene inserted into the plant for vaccine-like resistance. It is a strong allergen due to its amino acid configuration. Other risks include increased antibiotic resistance and the promotion of superbugs. Too bad because papaya is the source of one of the most potent and effective digestive aids, and one of the best natural preventatives and treatments for hormone dependent cancers.
4. Potatoes: This staple of Western eating is loved by almost everyone and few are aware of its hazards. Potatoes have the dubious distinction of ranking in the Dirty Dozen, the Environmental Working Group’s list of the fruits and vegetables with the highest pesticide loads. One the world’s leading plant genetic modification experts, Arpad Pusztai, has found that rats fed GMO potatoes have smaller livers, hearts, testicles and brains, damaged immune systems, and structural changes in their white blood cells, making them more vulnerable to infection and disease compared to rats not fed GMO potatoes. Thymus and spleen damage, liver atrophy and proliferation of stomach and intestine cells signaling the potential of cancer were also found. This is a tragedy because potatoes are inexpensive and easy to grow and store, making them the perfect survival food. Learn how to grow organic potatoes at home.
5. Peas: The inconspicuous little pea has one of the best nutritional profiles of any food on earth. Peas contain high amounts of a potent cancer fighting polyphenol called coumestrol, and strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Jeffrey Smith, author of Seeds of Deception, the seminal book on the dangers of GMOs, has noted that peas have been inserted with a gene from kidney beans which creates a protein that acts as a pesticide right in the plant. This protein prompts a strong immune response in mice fed GMO peas, a result that has caused Australia to stop its promotion of the peas a few years ago. But they are back and propagating through fields in the U.S. They will probably hit stores shelves soon, but you won’t know it since GMO products are not labeled.
6. Rice: GMO rice was created 12 years ago as a public relations ploy for the biotech industry that was then having difficulty gaining acceptance for its genetically engineered products. The rice was modified to increase vitamin A content, and promised to save a million kids a year from blindness (nobody could be against that, right?). Rice is one of the most prevalent foods in the Eastern diet, but resistance to the GMO version has been high. Fang Lifeng from Greenpeace has told China Daily that “once the engineered rice gets into the food chain on a large scale, it will have a very big impact on food safety, environmental safety and biological diversity.” And according to recent reports, rice is now being inbred with human genes by Ventria Bioscience Company and grown in Kansas and possibly elsewhere. This rice is slated for use in pharmaceuticals, but it is being grown in the open where it can contaminant other crops.
7. Cottonseed oil: This cheap oil is a by-product of industrial waste produced during the processing of cotton, and it contains the Bt toxin. It is found in many processed food products, particularly baked goods, breads, peanut butter, cereal, crackers, cookies, dressings, marinades, margarine and shortening. Cottonseed and canola are the oils used to make Crisco and other brands of hydrogenated shortenings. Hydrogenated oils contribute to hardening of the arteries and cardiovascular disease. They interfere with hormone synthesis, immune function, and the ability of the body to deal with inflammation and to heal. According to famed Harvard Medical School professor John Lee, “vital systems all become defective when trans fatty acids substitute for the health-giving fatty acids. Unknowingly we are poisoning ourselves.” Use butter, coconut oil and olive oil instead.
8. Aspartame: Although listed here with foods, aspartame is actually a chemical made from the waste of genetically modified bacteria. While most people know aspartame is used in diet drinks, candies and sugarless gum, few are aware that it has sneaked into many other products such as energy drinks, flavored bottled water, baked goods, ice cream and a host of other products that are already sugar-sweetened. Aspartame is addictive. It is the reason people who drink diet sodas develop a craving for them. Aspartame has been linked to a large number of diseases: impaired immune system, cancer and metastasis, memory loss, inability to concentrate, paralysis, slurred speech, dizziness, vision problems, and migraine headaches. Since coming on the market in 1981, aspartame has been the source of 75 percent of the complaints reported to the FDA’s Adverse Reaction Monitoring System. Use real cane sugar or Stevia instead, and be sure to read the labels!
9. Canola oil: Sold to the public as the healthy choice, canola oil is second only to cottonseed oil in the damage it can do. Canola is the result of the genetic modification of the poisonous rapeseed plant, performed to breed out its undesirable taste and some of its hazards to health. The original rapeseed plant contained high levels of erucic acid and was associated with fibrotic heart lesions, disorders of the central nervous system, lung and prostate cancer, anemia and constipation. Although Canadian geneticists diligently tried to get rid of these characteristics in their efforts to morph rapeseed oil into canola oil, many health professionals say there is still too much erucic acid remaining for the oil to be used safely. Learn more about canola oil.
10. Soy: The popularity of soybeans is one of the great triumphs of marketing. It has been known for 5000 years that soybeans are not fit for consumption because rather than providing nutrients to the body, soybeans actually rob it of what nutrients it already has. Yet marketers have given soybeans a new name, edamame, and products made with this garbage food are appearing everywhere and have actually supplanted some traditionally healthy foods. If the soybeans are not organic, they are Monsanto’s Roundup Ready GMO soybeans, developed to allow growers the ability to drench their crops along with their fields, without killing their crops. Mice fed Roundup Ready soybeans developed significant liver cell changes indicating a dramatic general metabolism increase. Symptoms included irregularly shaped nuclei and nucleoli, and an increased number of nuclear pores and other changes. When Roundup Ready was removed from their diets, the symptoms disappeared. Pancreas problems, liver enlargement and unexplained testicular cell changes were also noted. When Roundup Ready soybeans were fed to rabbits, organ changes were observed. The offspring of rats fed with Roundup Ready soybeans died within three weeks of birth.
For a more complete explanation of the hazards of GMO foods and the politics behind them: