- 3 pounds chicken, beef, pork, or lamb bones (can be a combination free-range or organic meat is best)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Sea salt
- Optional: your choice of herbs and spices
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the bones on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast them for 30 minutes or until slightly brown. Turn them halfway through cooking.
- Using a pair of kitchen tongs, place the bones in a heavy stockpot. Pour in water, peppercorns, and any other herbs you are using.
- Bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 8 to 16 hours. Check occasionally to skim any foam off the broth.
- When finished cooking, strain the broth and season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately, or pour it into glass jars to store in the fridge.