Fibromyalgia is a chronic and complex condition estimated to affect 3 to 6 million people in the United States. Until the late 20th century, the disorder was not even recognized. Even today, a person with fibromyalgia may suffer needlessly, finding it hard to get a concrete diagnosis from a physician. Mainstream medicine offers treatment such as antidepressants, painkillers, muscle relaxers and anesthetic injections. However, these drug are rarely effective. Natural treatments for fibromyalgia, on the other hand, can often bring real relief and even remission.
What are common symptoms of fibromyalgia?
Symptoms of fibromyalgia include joint pain, fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, and depression. Other symptoms can include irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ), restless leg syndrome, numbness or tingling in hands or feet, and poor concentration. Sufferers may be overly sensitive to odors, noises, bright lights, and touch. Fibromyalgia is often linked with the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) and chronic fatigue syndrome. The condition is diagnosed by applying pressure to specific tender points throughout the body. These pressure points are found in the neck, shoulders, upper and lower back, upper chest, elbows, hips, and thighs.
Fibromyalgia has been linked to an immune system disorder.
Supplements that treat fibromyalgia by strengthening and modulating the immune system include:
*Magnesium, often referred to as the master mineral, is necessary for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. The majority of the population is deficient in this important mineral, and magnesium deficiency has been strongly linked to immune disorders and other symptoms.
*Colloidal Silver has shown to be extremely effective in treating fibromyalgia. Two to four ounces daily should be the initial dose, tapering down to one ounce until improvement is noticed. It is important to note that one should obtain colloidal silver from a trusted source. Many websites advertising colloidal silver sell no such thing. There are many inferior products that have added ingredients and large silver particles which are less effective and could even result in argyria. There is no such risk with true colloidal silver.
*An extract made from the oleander plant is a powerful immune modulator which may be effective in relieving or even reversing fibromyalgia. Note that raw oleander is quite toxic and one should not experiment willy-nilly with raw oleander, but instead should use a proven supplemental non-toxic form.
*Vitamin D3 is also a powerful immune modulator and recent studies have linked D3 deficiency to immune disorders as well as recommended its use as an immune modulator.
*Black seed oil (Nigella Sativa) is another powerful immune modulator.
*Curcumin, the active constituent in turmeric is an immune modulator that also relieves inflammation and pain.
*Garlic, astragalus, and echinacea not only strengthen the immune system but also improve circulation.
Other naturals treatments for fibromyalgia relief
- Capsaicin cream is effective in relieving pain when applied topically on painful areas.
- Proteolytic/digestive enzymes help to dissolve fibrin. Take 5 or more two to three times a day on an empty stomach.
- Apples and apple juice are good for people with fibromyalgia. Apples contain malic acid which is not only instrumental in relieving pain, but is also needed in generating cellular energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
- A deficiency in Vitamin B12 may be a contributing factor in people with fibromyalgia.
- Skullcap and valerian can help restore restful sleep. Please note that these herbs should not be taken along with antidepressants.
- Acupuncture, used for 2,500 years by the Chinese, may be instrumental in pain relief. Acupuncture works by balancing the energy pathways (meridians) throughout the body.
- Toxins have been associated with fibromyalgia, making cleansing is an important part of treating this condition. Liver Cleanse is an excellent product for periodic cleansing of many toxins. Regularly including parsley, cilantro, and chlorella in the diet will help to keep it free of heavy metals. Niacin, another B vitamin, is also instrumental in detoxification.
Approximately 50% of people with fibromyalgia also suffer from depression.
In that event, the following supplements may bring relief:
*SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine), a natural compound found in the body, is needed for proper immune function. It also helps to maintain cell membranes and is instrumental in the production and breakdown of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Studies have suggested that SAMe may help to treat fibromyalgia, along with the depression that may accompany it.
*5 HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) increases serotonin levels in the brain and reduces the number of tender points found throughout the body.
*St. John’s Wort also helps to relieve depression by inhibiting neurotransmitters.
*Colloidal gold may be just what the “doctor ordered” in both relieving depression and addressing aches and pains. Colloidal gold is a supplement that addresses Body, Mind, and Spirit.
Please note that SAMe, 5-HTP, and St. John’s Wort affect brain chemicals in different ways. Therefore, they should not be taken together, or along with antidepressants. Depending on a person’s individual needs, one or another of these supplements may be more suitable in addressing fibromyalgia and the accompanying depression. However, colloidal gold is the one supplement that will not interfere with other supplements or medications.
Exercise also helps people with fibromyalgia.
Lastly, low impact exercises will keep muscles strong and flexible, while also helping to control weight. Exercising may also ease depression, relieve pain, and help the individual to remain active. Recommended exercises include walking, swimming and water exercises, yoga, tai chi, and Pilates.
For more information: