When parents are faced with news such as disturbed gunmen, Steven Kazmierczak, who had stopped taking his medication prior to his Valentines Day 2008 shooting rampage on the NIU campus, serious questions arise.
Will MY child become suicidal? Will they freak out and do something crazy?
The very thought is unthinkable.
Comments From Dr. Esposito
- Steven Kazmierczak’s murderous shooting spree at Northern Illinois University: law-enforcement officials noted he had begun to behave erratically after he recently stopped taking psychiatric medication.
- April 16, 2007, while on antidepressant drugs, Cho Seung Hui, the Virginia Tech shot and killed 32 fellow students in a shooting rampage.
- September 28, 2006, Bailey, Colorado: Duane Morrison, 53, entered Platte Canyon High School and shot and killed one girl, and sexually assaulted 6 others. Antidepressants were found in his vehicle.
- March 21, 2005: Red Lake Indian Reservation, Minnesota: 16-year-old Native American Jeff Weise was under the influence of the antidepressant Prozac when he shot and killed nine people and wounded five before committing suicide.
- April 10, 2001: Wahluke, Washington: While on a high dose of the antidepressant Effexor, 16-year-old Cory Baadsgaard took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates and a teacher hostage .
- March 22, 2001: El Cajon, California: 18-year-old Jason Hoffman was on two antidepressants, Effexor and Celexa, when he opened fire at his California high school, wounding five.
- March 7, 2000: Williamsport, Pennsylvania: 14-year-old Elizabeth Bush was on the antidepressant Prozac when she blasted away at fellow students in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, wounding one.
- May 20, 1999: Conyers, Georgia: 15-year-old T.J. Solomon was being treated with a mix of antidepressants when he opened fire on, and wounded 6 of his classmates.
- April 20, 1999: Columbine, Colorado: 18-year-old Eric Harris was on the antidepressant Luvox when he and his partner Dylan Klebold killed 12 classmates and a teacher and wounded 23 others before taking their own lives in the bloodiest school massacre to date. The coroner confirmed that the antidepressant was in his system through toxicology reports while Dylan Klebold’s autopsy was never made public.
- April 16, 1999: Notus, Idaho: 15-year-old Shawn Cooper fired two shotgun rounds in his school narrowly missing students; he was taking a mix of antidepressants.
- May 21, 1998: Springfield, Oregon: 15-year-old Kip Kinkel murdered his own parents and then proceeded to school where he opened fire on students in the cafeteria, killing two and wounding 22. Kinkel had been on Prozac.
- Cardiovascular exercise is the best method to improve mild and moderate depression according to research.
- High levels of caffeine, sugar and overall mental stress will cause a depletion of serotonin (the happy hormone).
- Managing the diet and dropping sugar levels can have an incredible effect on mood, energy and overall attitude.
Antipsychotic Drugs And Your Kids
Kid Drugging in Canada
Before you give you children an antidepressant watch the video below (Adults Only):