(Health Secrets) What is the best way to fight flu and infections of all types? Authorities around the globe agree the answer is to strengthen your immune system. The state of your immunity makes all the difference between whether you remain strong and healthy or become compromised enough to invite infection.
The immune system is a collection of molecules, cells and organs with complex interactions that form an efficient system able to protect a person from invasion from outside the body, and altered cells in the body that may be cancerous. It is your lifeline.
Best strategies to keep your immune system fighting strong
* Take probiotics daily – The human intestinal tract is normally home to millions of friendly bacteria that stand like guardians over the immune system. They defend the cells of the intestinal tract and keep unfriendly viruses, bacteria, yeasts and molds in check. One main reason we feel so well after a good night’s sleep is that while we were sleeping, our friendly bacteria were doing the body’s housekeeping chores and vanquishing foreign invaders while keeping us safe and sound.
But life in the modern world is hard on friendly bacteria. Threats include:
- Chlorine and other chemicals used to purify the water supply
- Air pollution
- Pesticides and herbicides used in food production
Each of these renders death to friendly bacteria.
The only way to restore yourself and your family to optimal levels of friendly bacteria is to add special fermented or cultured foods like kefir or sauerkraut to your diets, or by taking a quality probiotic supplement. Drinking kefir is the best idea, since most kids and adults find it smooth and tasty. Kefir has the power to completely recolonize your intestinal tract with friendly bacteria after they have been wiped out by antibiotic usage. If you don’t have time to make your own, kefir can be bought from healthy image stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has spoken out in favor of probiotics for children and adults, saying that live microorganisms in probiotics, when administered consistently, provide many health benefits. There is much solid research to back up this statement.
* Go to bed – Scientists at Carnegie Mellon University studied 153 healthy men and women between the ages of 21 and 55 to determine whether lack of sleep in the weeks preceding viral exposure were associated with disease susceptibility. For 14 days, participants reported their sleep amounts. They were then quarantined, administered a rhinovirus, and monitored for five says to see if they developed an infection or signs of illness.
The results were staggering. Individuals sleeping an average of less than seven hours a night had almost three times (300%) greater incidence of sickness than did those who slept eight hours or longer. When sleep efficiency was considered, those participants with sleep efficiencies averaging 92% were five and one-half times (550%) more likely to have developed a virus compared to those with a 98% sleep efficiency rating. Sleep efficiency is the ratio of time spent sleeping compared to time spent in bed.
Sleep is the basis of the immune system. The sleep cycle begins with the body’s production of the sleep inducing hormone melatonin. Humans start producing melatonin from their pineal glands in response to coming darkness, and its production continues until late in the night when production of the hormone prolactin kicks in. These two hormones promote the production of specialized white cells, known as macrophages and leukocytes. These specialized white cells destroy and clean up viruses, foreign bacteria, unnatural chemicals, and foreign proteins in the body, assuring the continuance of optimal health. It is this process that keeps flu, other viruses, and cancer away.
Each person needs at least 8 hours of sleep for the entire cycle of melatonin and prolactin to occur. If sleep is cut short, there is not enough time for adequate production of these hormones, and the body defenders and housekeepers they sponsor are not able to get their jobs done. With each passing night of inadequate sleep, the immune system becomes more unable to make the T cells and Natural Killer cells that seek out and destroy invaders like viruses, and defective cells throughout the body.
The body is hardwired to make you cooperate in this process. It’s the reason why you yawn and feel sleepy when darkness comes early in the fall and winter. Your body is telling you it’s time to go to bed. Yet most of us shrug this off, turn on lights and stay up late, making it almost impossible for our bodies to keep us healthy and free of viruses. Get to bed by nine o’clock to stay virus free!
* Keep plenty of colloidal silver on hand – Silver is what kept people healthy before the advent of antibiotics. Unlike antibiotics, which only kill bacteria, silver is a highly powerful germicidal, anti-viral, antifungal, and antibacterial, while being non-toxic to humans.
In a laboratory test at the UCLA School of Medicine, silver was documented to kill bacteria, viruses, and fungal organisms within minutes of being exposed to the solution. Dr. Robert Becker of Syracuse University noted that in a study conducted at his school, all the organisms tested were eliminated by silver, including those resistant to known antibiotics.
Among the research findings on the efficacy of silver is a study from Hungary that found specific silver receptors on human tissue – a powerful indication that silver plays a role in human health. In a joint study, silver nano-particles attached to HIV-1 prevented the virus from bonding to the host cells.
Don’t wait! Take silver at the very first sign of illness.
* Say NO to hand sanitizers and antibacterial products – No matter what it says on TV, these products make you more susceptible to viral infection – not less. Anything that says it antibacterial contains a killer chemical and is toxic – poisonous. Anything rubbed on the skin enters the body and becomes part of the blood stream just as surely as if you had swallowed it. Would you willingly consume a toxic substance like Agent Orange? That’s what your are doing when you rub these products into your skin. Remember the friendly bacteria in your intestinal tract that are the guardians of your immune system? Using hand sanitizer or antibacterial soap will kill them off just as if you had drunk a glass of pesticide or chlorine.
The Cancer Center at the University of California studied exposure to triclocarban, an antibacterial compound used in antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers. The researchers found that continuous daily use of products containing triclocarban led to steady state levels of excretion through the kidneys, meaning that for those users, there was no time when their bodies did not contain that toxic chemical.
The prestigious Harvard Health Letter has reported that 15 seconds of hand washing with regular soap and water is just as effective at cleaning hands of bacteria as antibacterial soap or hand sanitizer, and it does it without devastating your immunity as antibacterial products do.
* Skip the flu shots and other vaccines – There is not a shred of indisputable evidence proving that flu shots are at all effective for preventing flu in anyone. And there has never been any medical studies that clearly demonstrated that vaccines increase immune system competence in the human body. In addition to their ineffectiveness, flu shots come with an array of potentially deadly side effects rarely disclosed to the public. These include seizures, brain damage and dementia, as well as exposure to mercury.
Vaccination by direct injection into the bloodstream bypasses much of the normal defenses of the immune system, producing at best only partial immunity, while the natural immune system is side stepped. Yet there is a greater quantity of biological communication in the human body than in all the man made communication systems in the world. This signaling is essential to the development of true immunity.
There is a finite number of immune system cells that are able to respond to foreign antigens from vaccine. Once a specific immune cell responds to a particular antigen, it becomes committed to that specific antigen, and is unable to respond to other pathogens. Vaccine use results in greater commitment of specific immune cells than would be otherwise utilized in natural immune building, weakening the capabilities of the entire immune system.
For more information:
Photo by Rochelle, just rochelle