(Health Secrets) An unsweetened glass of warm lemon or lime water first thing in the morning is surprisingly helpful in several ways. This Yogic or Ayurvedic ritual is primarily for stimulating digestion and eliminating ama, the Ayurvedic term for toxic slime that builds up in the gastro intestinal tract and sometimes coats your tongue. But that’s not all. This ritual has many more health benefits for us in our world today.
Ten reasons to drink lemon water daily
You can drink lemon water straight up, or blend it with some lime. Either way you will get these terrific benefits:
- Warm lemon water helps purify and stimulate the liver. Lemon water liquefies bile while inhibiting excess bile flow.
- Warm lemon water aids digestions. It’s atomic composition is similar to saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices.
- The liver produces more enzymes in response to lemon water than any other food, according to A.F, Beddoe, author of Biological Ionization as Applied to Human Nutrition.
- Lemon/lime water helps bowels eliminate naturally and easily.
- Lemons and limes are high in potassium. This important mineral works with sodium for smooth electrical transmission in the brain and nervous system. Depression, anxiety, fogginess and forgetfulness can often be traced to low potassium blood levels. That same nervous system needs potassium to assure steady signals to the heart, so heart health is improved by drinking lemon or lime water.
- Calcium and magnesium are plentiful and in good ration to each other in lemon water. Rickets, a disease that faded away years ago but is now making a comeback, is prevented by this daily ritual.
- Lemon water can help lower blood pressure.
- Drinking lemon or lime water has an alkalizing effect as it is buffered in the body. Even if you drink it at room temperature just before any meal, it will help your body maintain a higher pH. The higher or more alkaline your pH, the more resistant you are to minor and major illnesses.
- Drinking lemon water helps dilute uric acid which creates arthritic pain or gout when it accumulates.
- Drinking lemon water reduces phlegm in the body.
Warm purified fluoride-free water or spring water should be used. At least a half of a lemon or lime should be thoroughly squeezed into a half full glass of warm water with no sweetener added. It’s better to use a lemon/lime squeezer to get maximum juice with minimum seeds.
This should be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and don’t start eating breakfast right away. Some recommend an hour before eating for maximum results, but waiting at least a half hour is usually enough.
One technique to assure proper timing is to heat up water and put it into a thermos before going to bed. Upon rising, mix that hot water with room temperature purified lemon or lime water. Drink it down quickly, then go about your other morning routines before eating breakfast.
The warm lemon/lime water daily habit is as cheap and easy as it gets for helping you to improve and maintain your overall health. Bottoms up!
For more information: