A favorite restaurant in St. Louis is the Cafe Osage, which is part of an urban farm complex. This complex is associated with the organic Bowood farm located in Clarksville, MO. Friends gather often to enjoy a visit to the urban greenhouse and gift shop. The urban farm is an island of greenery, with two city blocks of greenhouses, a vegetable garden, and a rooftop herb garden, in the middle of a transitional neighborhood of old Victorian homes.
Urban farming is a wonderful new trend. Many of the vegetables used in the dishes at Café Osage are grown in their 1/4 acre garden across the street. The café also receives many plants and vegetables from the 4th generation Clarksville family farm. You can take a tour of the rooftop herb garden where all the fresh herbs used at the café are grown.
Café Osage has been making a fantastic beet salad—the kind you want more of when you get home. Here is a replication of their pickled beet salad recipe. If you are a beet lover, you can perfect your own version of this recipe.
2 cans of sliced pickled beets or 8 medium-sized baked and peeled beets (for a milder flavor)
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup sliced green onions
Mix dressing in a separate bowl:
1/2 cup sour cream
3 teaspoons prepared white horseradish or bottled horseradish sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Use canned beets or, or to cook fresh beets, wrap each beet in a square of foil and bake them at 400 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. When beets are cool enough to handle, just slip the skins off.
- Slice, dice or chop the beets
- Place all the ingredients in a serving bowl, add the dressing and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours—allowing the flavors to penetrate the beets
Benefits of Beets
- The ancient Romans used them medicinally as an aphrodisiac
- Beets are high in many vitamins and minerals
- Beets cleanse the body
- Beets help your mental health
- Beets are a high source of energy
- Nutritionists use beets and beet juice to test stomach acid levels—if you pee pink your stomach acid is too low
- Beets are high in potassium