(Health Secrets) For many of us our earliest exposure to the topic of mold was third grade science. There we learned that bread mold does not turn into penicillin, but produces penicillin as a metabolic by-product. Then somewhere along the way most of us encountered black mold. Headaches, allergic reaction, aches, pains, and depression set in, and we realized mold was no longer fun. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and blaming them on aging or stress, the true reason may be that you are exposed to high levels of toxic black mold. Once you get the mold in your life under control, you may see an immediate improvement in your health.
People living with toxic black mold usually breathe in mycotoxins, which are toxins produced by fungus. However, they can also ingest them or absorb them through their skin. When mycotoxins end up lodging in the lungs, it creates breathing problems. Inhaling mycotoxins is much more harmful than ingesting them.
The specific type of mycotoxins found in black mold is called trithochecenes. These are some of the most toxic of all the myotoxins. It is suspected that trichothecenes can cause cancer and damage the immune system, leading to a wide range of symptoms. The seriousness of the symptoms depends on the amount of mycotoxins and length of exposure.
The complete list of symptoms is long. If you are being exposed to mycotoxins, you may be suffering from: vision problems, dry eyes, mental impairment, neurological symptoms, memory loss, anxiety, depression, confusion, balance problems, sinus problems, joint pain, muscle aches and pains, tiredness, fatigue, nausea, stomach or abdominal pain, internal lesions, bleeding, dermatitis, rash, breathing difficulties, pulmonary hemorrhage, wheezing, shortness of breath, sore or burning throat, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing including coughing up blood, sneezing, flu-like symptoms, colds, fever, rhinitis, swollen lymph nodes, heart palpitations, yellow nails, white marks under nails, neck boils, seizures, autoimmune diseases, acid reflux, internal organ damage, and general malaise.
A frequent musty smell in your home may be the sign of a mold infestation. If you suspect a musty smell, it’s a good idea to hire a professional who can assess your home. If you suspect you have a serious black mold problem, call a professional mold remediation specialist to test the mold and make recommendations. The biggest mistake would be to try to kill or remove the mold yourself. Disturbing toxic black mold can trigger the release of millions of mycotoxins. These can contaminate your home, perhaps beyond repair. The goal of black toxic mold removal is not to kill the mold, rather to completely remove the mold from your home.
For small, household mold clean-up from nonporous surfaces, you can scrub the surfaces using water and detergent. Lightly wet the mold growth before you start scrubbing to stop mold spores from escaping into the air. Dead mold spores remain allergenic. The goal is to remove the mold, whether you kill it or not.
Bleach does not kill mold! It doesn’t even disinfect mold spores, The only thing bleach does is change the color of the mold by damaging the roots of it. Bleach is not an effective way to kill mold and provides only a temporary solution by slowing down its growth. Clorine bleach doesn’t kill mold spores because bleach is made mostly of water, and water is a main requirement for mold growth.
Tea tree oil, which you can purchase at health food stores or online does a fantastic job as a mold remover. It is expensive, but you only have to use small amounts to get great results. Tea tree oil can be used on walls, ceiling, shower curtains, etc. Be aware that it does have a very strong odor which will take a few days to calm down. At least it’s better than a musty mold smell! Tea tree oil appears to remove and kill the vast majority of mold types.
To use tea tree oil, mix 2 teaspoons of it with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake gently to mix, then spray areas of mold with the solution. There is no need to rinse, just leave to dry. Save the mixture to use next time.
Vinegar is something every household will have in the kitchen cupboard, and it costs very little. Poor white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and spray directly onto the area of mole. Again, don’t rinse, just allow to dry.
Grapefruit Seed Extract has one huge advantage over the others — it is completely odorless. The down side is that like tea tree oil, it is expensive, but with this too, only small quantities are needed. Put 20 drops of the extract into a spray bottle and mix with two cups of water. Apply to the affected area, do not rinse, and allow to dry. This mixture can be stored indefinitely.
Borax is a common cleaning chemical used by individuals and cleaning companies alike. It does not emit any toxic chemicals when you use it. Mix one cup of Borax with a gallon of water. Shake or stir the container to mix. Dip a scrubbing brush into the solution and scrub the mold away. Borax will loosen the mold’s hold on the surface, while the brush completely removes it.
For more information: