Sneak some veggies into dinner with a great fall twist on this family favorite. Just add a can of pumpkin to your classic mac n cheese recipe and you’re ready to go!
1 package (16 oz) elbow macaroni or shells
¼ c butter
¼ c flour
2 c milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or any good melting cheese)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles as directed on package and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and constantly whisk mixture for 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Continue stirring until sauce thickens.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, Dijon mustard and pumpkin to sauce.
- Add 1 3/4 cups cheese. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Add noodles to cheese sauce and stir until coated. Pour noodles into casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.