1 1/2 cups almond flour (almond meal works, too)
1/4 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
Extra arrowroot or tapioca starch, for rolling & cutting
1 batch of Coconut Sugar Icing or regular icing for decorating
- In a large mixing bowl combined the almond flour, starch, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda and stir to combine. Add in the coconut oil, maple syrup, and molasses and stir again until a sticky dough is formed. Arrowroot starch acts as a binder in this recipe, so you don’t need to use eggs or even an egg substitute. Simply mix the ingredients together all in one bowl, then place the dough in the freezer for 30 minutes (or chill in the refrigerator overnight if you want to make them ahead) before rolling it out and making it into cute gingerbread cookie shapes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Place chilled dough on parchment paper and sprinkle it with a bit of arrowroot or tapioca starch to help prevent sticking.
- Flatten the dough using a rolling pin, spreading the dough out to be a flat sheet, about a 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut gingerbread into shape using cookie cutters.
- Bake the cookies at 350F for about 10 minutes for a soft center, or 14-15 minutes for crisper gingerbread cookie.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan before icing and serving. They will firm up as they cool.
Storing leftover cookies
Unlike traditional gingerbread cookies, for best results these vegan, paleo gingerbread cookies should be stored uncovered on the counter for up to 3 days. You can also store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze them for up to 3 months. We do not recommend storing them in an air-tight container at room temperature as they will get softer when sealed in a bag.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: gingerbread, cookies, ginger, vegan, paleo