- 5 oz salmon (canned or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup sweet potato, squash, or pumpkin (pureed, mashed, or mixed together)
- 3 to 4 tbsp flour (use coconut flour for a gluten-free version)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp fine kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- Mash salmon in a large bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup of sweet potato, squash, or pumpkin puree (or create a mix of your favorite blend) to salmon and mix together.
- Add flour to the mixture. (Note: You may need to adjust the amount of flour you use depending on the quality of salmon).
- Mix in garlic, herbs, and seasoning.
- Add in eggs.
- Mix until the batter is smooth enough to form into 8 small balls.
- Press patties until they are about an inch thin and place them on a parchment-lined tray.
- Add butter to skillet and heat on medium-high.
- Once heated, place patties in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until salmon is cooked through.
- Serve with plenty of fresh lemon and more fresh herbs!
Freezer-friendly Tips for Make Ahead Nights
- Form the salmon mixture into patties.
- Place formed salmon cakes on a lined baking sheet.
- Freeze patties for 1 hour.
- Remove the salmon patties from the freezer, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.