Salmon cakes are quick and easy to make and a great way to add nutrient-dense foods to your healthy meal plan options. This superfood recipe checks two boxes in the health-eats arena as salmon has many health benefits. Plus it’s delicious and freezer-friendly!
Health benefits of salmonn
Salmon is packed with heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, selenium (the feel-good hormone), tryptophan ( boosts your sleep quality and mood), Vitamin D, and quality proteins and nutrients. Essentially, it’s a powerhouse that helps with brain, nerve and eye development.
Salmon also helps reduce unwanted inflammation in the body – which is the source of everyday aches and pains for many. Add in the fact that these salmon patties sneak in some extra veggies, that makes these under-30-minute cakes an even better option for those quick, go-to meals on busy nights.
Salmon Cake Ingredients
- 5 oz salmon (canned or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup sweet potato, squash, or pumpkin (pureed, mashed, or mixed together)
- 3 to 4 tbsp flour (use coconut flour for a gluten-free version)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp fine kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
Salmon Cake Directions
- Mash salmon in a large bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup of sweet potato, squash, or pumpkin puree (or create a mix of your favorite blend) to salmon and mix together.
- Add flour to the mixture. (Note: You may need to adjust the amount of flour you use depending on the quality of salmon).
- Mix in garlic, herbs and seasoning.
- Add in eggs.
- Mix until the batter is smooth enough to form into 8 small balls.
- Press patties until they are about an inch thin and place them on a parchment-lined tray.
- Add butter to skillet and heat on medium high.
- Once heated, place patties in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until salmon is cooked through.
- Serve with plenty of fresh lemon and more fresh herbs!
Freezer-friendly Tips for Make Ahead Nights
- Form the salmon mixture into patties like you do in the recipe above.
- Place formed salmon cakes on a lined baking sheet.
- Freeze patties for 1 hour.
- Remove the salmon patties from the freezer, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.