1 ripe avocado (about 7 ounces; 1/2 cup mashed)
1/2 cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4 cup almond butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (use a dairy-free brand, if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish or cover with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl or food processor, mash the avocado with a fork or blend until smooth.
- Add in the cacao powder, eggs, coconut sugar, almond butter, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Mix ingredients together until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on the top (optional).
- Bake at 325ºF for 45 minutes, or until the center of the brownies looks cooked-through (they should not jiggle when you shake them).
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before you serve at room temperature. The avocado taste will be much stronger when warm so wait until they cool before you’re tempted to give them a try. You can speed up the process by putting them in the fridge.
- Store leftovers on the counter for up to 48 hours, or in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Avocados have a very mild taste so it isn’t overpowering in the recipe. If you want to cover up the avocado taste more, however, you may add ¼ cup of maple syrup for a sweeter taste.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: avocado, dessert, chocolate, cacao powder