One 2 1/2 lb organic butternut squash
1/3 cup organic butter
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (look for the ones marked MSG Free)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup ground almonds or almond meal
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup organic milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grind almonds in a food processor.
- Mix paprika, turmeric, and mustard powder into vegetable broth.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour slowly until smooth and bubbly. Slowly add broth and spice mixture, whisking all the while. Whisk in nutritional yeast and continue whisking until the mixture is thick and bubbly (about 2 minutes). If it’s not getting thick and bubbly, turn up the heat. Stir in lemon juice and about half the ground almonds. Turn heat off.
- Slice squash in half vertically, peel, and seed. Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place slices in a pot, cover with water, and bring water to boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Place squash in a 10″ diameter casserole dish, gratin dish, or baking pan. Pour milk over the slices and stir enough to make sure the slices are all saturated. Pour the sauce on top and stir into the top layer of squash. Sprinkle remaining almonds on top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned.