Ants die when they ingest aspartame. What is it doing to you?
Yet the FDA, Monsanto and the rest of the artificial sweetener industry are engaged in a huge campaign insisting this poison is safe.
Although the results are conclusive, scientists aren’t sure of the reason. The current hypothesis is that the sweet taste tells the brain food is coming, which in turn triggers an insulin response. When the expected food doesn’t arrive, you end up with high levels of insulin and yet little glucose circulating in the blood. This stimulates your appetite, often causing you to eat sugar-laden, nutrient-empty calories to raise your blood sugar.It’s a vicious circle, resulting in more and more fat being deposited into the abdominal area and around internal organs.
Comments From Dr. Esposito
The Aspartame Consumer Safety Network Fact Sheet lists the following symptoms:
headaches, nausea, vertigo, insomnia, numbness, blurred vision, blindness and other eye problems, memory loss, slurred speech, depression, personality changes, hyperactivity, stomach disorders, seizures, skin lesions, rashes, anxiety attacks, muscle cramping and joint pain, loss of energy, symptoms mimicking heart attacks, hearing loss and ear ringing, and loss or change of taste.
I agree with the author about the alternative sugar subsititutes. Recently while in Mexico, I visted an Agave plant and purchased a bottle of Agave nectar. I was impressed with its taste and its minimal effect on insulin levels. I use it in my morning oatmeal or protein drink or any other meal that needs sweetening.
I ocassionally use a touch of Black Strap Molasses. Although somewhat bitter, if you use it sparingly, it provides a sweet flavor with a kick of great minerals without spiking blood sugar levels.
Xylitol is another one of my favorites. It is a naturally-occuring substance that tastes like sugar and has no after-taste. Scandinavian research has shown for many years that Xylitol actually reduces the incidence of tooth decay. Study participants chewed one or two sticks of gum containing xylitol for five minutes three times a day after meals and their average decay reduction was 62%!